Connecting the Dots

Reflecting on our four substantial blog posts for the course thus far has given me a chance to spot at least one consistent theme: transaction costs. While perhaps not be so obvious to the casual reader who is not enrolled in econ 490, I noticed nuances of this concept threaded throughout all my posts, which I will discuss in depth a little later. In the broader sense that each blog post has been an opportunity to process the content from that week’s lessons, relating it to our individual experiences and adding in our personal opinions, there is general fluidity as new ideas are built on top of knowledge gained the previous week.

In week two of the course, the prompt allowed us to elaborate on our own work experiences and consider the transaction costs associated with that role. At that early stage in the semester, transaction costs were still a relatively new idea to me, and I think I mistakenly assumed they were a close relative of opportunity costs solely because of their similar sounding titles. In a way, this was me synthesizing a new idea to one I was familiar with. For my current job as a nanny, I talked about the leisure I was foregoing to work at my job and identified time as my main transaction cost. Now that we’ve learned more about transaction costs, I think I could improve upon this post.

A more accurate description of transaction costs as I now understand them are the costs incurred in making the job work, or forming some agreement; not necessarily what you are foregoing. In my original blog post on this topic I mentioned the flexibility my job allows as a positive, but I think this flexibility may also generate transaction costs that wouldn’t exist in a typical employer/employee relationship. To clarify this, it’s important to explain that my boss doesn’t “set my hours” as a usual employer would. Instead, as a university professor who is understanding of my academic responsibilities, he asks me to work additional hours; it is always phrased as a “can you” not a “you will”. The transaction cost of this leniency on his end is that he is prevented from solidifying plans until he is assured he has a sitter for the night. If he instead just told me I had to work he could secure the details for his other obligation up front. On my end, these transactions costs are related to the additional time and effort of communicating our schedules so that we are on the same page.

In posts since this one, I’ve touched more on the concept of transaction costs. In our most recent post on Illinibucks, you challenged us to think extensively about this concept, which helped to deepen my understanding of what transaction costs are and how to identify them in everyday instances. In fact, I could probably go back through each of my blog posts and identify how transaction costs played a role in whatever personal anecdote I wrote about. My sorority’s recruitment committee certainly had transaction costs, as did my committee that planned the Lustgarten Fundraiser.

The point I am making is that there is certainly evidence for the connections you asked about in the prompt. I believe this was part of your goal when you tasked us with maintaining a personal blog for the semester. Synthesizing class concepts to our personal lives brings a sense of clarity that a textbook simply can’t. It forces us to really think about the topics and check ourselves for understanding. As we progress this semester and hear certain words, like transaction costs, mentioned more frequently, our understanding deepens. As I demonstrated above, it’s certainly easier to make connections in my earlier posts now that I have enhanced knowledge of the topic.

As far as my writing process, I haven’t evolved much since the first week. Generally, I try to start the posts early in the week; ideally, I like to read the prompt before our Tuesday lecture so I can be thinking in class of examples in my life that relate to whatever we’re discussing. I type my blog posts in a word document first, for the sake of having decent spelling and grammar checks, and preferably complete a rough draft by lecture on Thursday. This gives me a day to read over the material and make any final tweaks before publishing to my blog. Going forward I might strive to better integrate class discussions directly into my posts, rather than just using class discussions to stimulate my personal anecdotes.

Considering future prompts, I would like to see more hypothetical scenarios. I really enjoyed the recent Illinibucks prompt. These sorts of exercises test my thinking in new ways because they introduce concepts I likely wouldn’t have considered on my own. Simply searching through personal experiences, I find myself gravitating toward the same handful of experiences because they are the most recent or significant. A second idea for a prompt might be responding to a current event and finding the economics at play in the situation. This would allow us to synthesize what we’re learning to the bigger world and would be good preparation for the reality of employment that awaits most of us soon.


Comments

  1. Let me go from bottom to top in responding. In class today I made a point about discussing creativity at the outset - whether it should be encouraged, if people are comfortable with it or not, the relationship between creativity and opportunism, and a bit on high achieving students over programming themselves (thereby blocking creativity). There are links to these that I prepared. For the Fun Theory link, I played the video of the piano stairs. The students said they hadn't seen it before. It is suggestive of some possible generalizations. I leave it to you to ponder further.

    The link to Tiffany's post is from the class I taught in fall 2009, the first time I had students blog. Students didn't get aliases then. (One lesson I learned from the experience.) This was not an economics course. It was a one-of-a-kind class called Designing for Effective Change and the students were all in the Campus Honors Program. Tiffany was an Accounting student. She shared some features with you, at least as I perceived them. She was very organized and indeed her post was concerned with time management. I encourage you read it and then read the comments. Mine includes a quote from Gertrude Stein that I think is quite relevant and important for you to consider.

    An important life skill to develop is to learn to ask good questions. We might then ask - where do good questions come from? One possibility is that they come from considering off-the-wall scenarios, like the one about Illinibucks. You wrote that you enjoyed thinking about it. You said you wouldn't come up with something like that on your own, but you didn't explain why. Might it be that you don't give yourself enough time to imagine these odd situations, because you have other obligations that prevent you from doing that?

    While in our course I am emphasizing the thinking skills as needed for student development, there is also having the interesting experiences and "stopping to smell the roses." You mentioned opportunity cost at the outset. There is an opportunity cost in being over programmed. These are some of the things that are missed.

    Regarding your writing process, and trying to tie that into the above, I wonder most about the pre-write phase. Have you ever experienced a sense that - I need to think about this more before I site down and write about it? When I first started writing my blog, back in 2005, I was working full time and I didn't have this experience. The prose just flowed out of me, fairly quickly. Now I find it happens fairly often. One reason is that then I was writing on things I had already thought about a lot and didn't have another way to express the thinking till the blog came along. So I had actually done the pre-writing even before it occurred to me to post about it. Another reason is that the treatment of the subject matter was straightforward. Now I find I don't have the equivalent work experiences to reflect on and I try to stretch myself with my posts, especially when the themes are recurrent, to go beyond what I said about it the last time. Sometimes I find I'm not ready to do that. In our class, of course, there is a deadline for the post, so you can't pre-write forever and wait for inspiration till then. But you might do more than you've been doing and see if it allows you to be more experimental and playful with your posts. Doing so in our class won't harm you grade wise, even if you are ultimately not happy with the product. And you might learn a thing a two about your own preferences that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I exceeded the amount of text the comment box allows. Here is the rest of the comment.

      Now a few comments about being a nanny and how that ties into course themes. It doesn't sound like this has happened for you, but if the parents disagreed about care for the kid(s) then managing the relationship with both parents would be filled with transaction costs. Scheduling is a transaction cost, as you noted, especially when it is a one-off and not at a predictable time. You didn't say what happens when you can't do it. Do the parents have a substitute for you? While in response to a comment on your earlier post you gave some distinction between being a nanny and being a babysitter, in a pinch do the parents go with a babysitter? If so, this sounds like more transaction cost for them rather than for you. Likewise, when you got started doing this, they must have had a lot of expectations for you that you had to learn about. That might be considered a transaction cost, though it also might be considered training. In this case I'm not sure which is the better label.

      Finally, I wanted to return to a point I may have raised with your first post. While your experience in your sorority clearly fits into being part of an organization, I'm not sure that being a nanny does. We never got at whether you are an independent contractor or if for this purpose the family is an organization and you are part of the family. I can certainly imagine that the experience is important to you and that you put much time and effort into it. But I am less sure that it really provides a good example for the ideas in our course, even though you and I have both tried to use it in that way.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps you are correct in your suggestion that I don’t allow myself the time to formulate more creative responses. As Tiffany pointed out, our priorities dictate our time. I would add to this that time management ultimately determines the level of attention each of our priorities receives. Time management has always been a strength of mine, but I think it is something we all can continually work to improve.

      At this stage in my life school is my top priority, but I struggle with prioritizing the responsibilities within that overarching category. I tend to work through assignments on a proximity basis; that is, the closer the deadline, the sooner I complete. The importance (i.e. percentage points or value of material) of each assignment rarely enter the equation. As someone who dislikes procrastinating, I find a great sense of calm in knowing I am 1-2 days ahead of due dates. This is the one of the best ways I have found to mitigate stress in my life. With school as my top priority, it tends to add the most stress. I’d be interested if the correlation between level of priority and weight of stress is generalizable to most people.

      Taking a moment to step back and assess our priorities and where we invest our time is an invaluable exercise. This process may also shed light on whether we are ‘over programmed’, as you suggest many high achieving students are. If our priorities demand more time or attention than is possible in each day, this seems indicative of over programming. In these cases, all our time has already been ‘spoken for’, and we are left no personal time in a day where our creative minds might have a chance to blossom. Opportunism and creativity are both stifled by too many constraints, and time is certainly one important limitation to consider.

      Finally, in response to your questions about my job, the parents do have a couple regular babysitters in their roster that they can contact if I am not available. Because I spend most everyday with the kids, transaction costs are certainly reduced when I can just extend my hours for that day into the evening. It’s one less paycheck they must write, and I am already very familiar with the house rules and their children’s schedules.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts